Things that are uplifting me right now:
1. I got a very sweet fan letter (PM) from someone who was moved by my Banana Fish fics, and I poured a lot of my soul into those fics, so it’s doubly gratifying for me to hear they’ve touched someone. A dear friend of mine who passed away in 2015, reading a chapter of my on-hold book, Mercy, once said, “Your pain has meaning,” and I feel some echo of that validation whenever someone tells me they were touched by these fics.
2. I’m very proud of my poor beleaguered college, which is pulling itself together over the coronavirus scare to support students and employees, prioritize everyone’s safety, and really try to navigate our very low enrollments so that benefited adjuncts don’t lose their health insurance (due to losing FTE). That’s about the nicest consideration I’ve seen for adjuncts ever.
3. Speaking of the day job, I’m also very pleased with the meeting I had earlier this week with faculty colleagues over planning sustainability curriculum. We had a far-ranging discussion, from broad philosophical concepts to concrete action items, and I think we got a lot done in terms of planning to green our curriculum.
4. On a lighter note, I’ve been enjoying Movie Nights’ comedic YouTube reviews of worst Star Trek episodes ever, chosen from all series up to Enterprise. Both nostalgic and hilarious.
5. I also got some very nice support on a short fantasy story from a work colleague, who helped me localize it to a Mexican-Californian setting. He did a very quick turnaround with excellent suggestions, and while I offered to pay him for the cultural consulting, he declined and did it for free. Sometimes people are really nice!
6. Speaking of people being nice, another work colleague offered, as an anonymous donation, to give a fellow colleague the money to cover her rent. She didn’t end up needing the money, as her tax return came through, but it’s so good to know people have each other’s backs.
7. My kids are getting big into Doctor Who, which just makes me happy. They’re marathoning through the entire New Who canon. (I can hear that music as I type this.)
Honestly, I could go on. Lots of people have been really nice lately, but I think I will end there.